This is the recipe my mother, Evelyn Tucker, used to prepare clam dip. Just a few ingredients, and remember to buy a family pack of Fritos Scoops! They’re ideal for scooping up the clam dip and it shouldn’t surprise you that you’ll quickly run out of dip or scoops or both!
I have an email in to the experts at Frito-Lay asking them when Frito Scoops hit the scene. I’m quite sure it was years after my mother made this clam dip and my sister and I started enjoyed it.
So here’s the recipe.
- 2 8 oz packages of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1 can of minced clams (originally from Doxsie, now from Snow, which is now owned by Bumble Fee)
- 1/2 a medium onion, chopped fine
- a dash of salt
- a tad of pepper
- If desired, soften the cream cheese in a microwave, 2-5 seconds at a time (optional) otherwise, in step 4, mash the cream cheese lively with the other ingredients
- Place cream cheese into a wide bowl
- Open can of minced clams and add to cream cheese in bowl
- Use potato masher to mix the juice and minced clams with the cream cheese.
- Add the chopped onions, salt, and pepper, and continue to use the potato masher to mix all the ingredients. Mix thoroughly (but don’t use automatic mixers)
- Transfer mixed clam dip to sealed bowl in refrigerator
- Serve with Fritos Scoops after removing from refrigerator