- 9 large baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Butter for baking dish
- For the topping:
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- About 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse potatoes, prick them with a fork, and place on a baking sheet in the oven. Bake for roughly 75 minutes. Remove from oven when they are easily pierced with the fork.
- Cool slightly. Wearing oven mitts, slice potatoes open and spoon pulp into a mixing bowl. Cut butter and cream cheese into small pieces and add to potatoes. Beat the mixture with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Do not overbeat. Beat in sour cream. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Place in a buttered casserole dish. Scatter bread crumbs, the butter cut into small pieces, paprika, and chives over the top. Refrigerate until serving time.
- To reheat, place in a 300 degree oven for about 20 minutes.