- 2 1/4 lbs fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 large Red Delicious apple, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 8 oz. sliced water chestnuts, rinsed
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- Bring brussels sprouts, lemon juice, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and water to cover to a boil in a sauce pan. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- Melt 2 tbs butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and saute 15-20 minutes or until caramel-colored. Add apple juice, and cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen browned particles.
- Add apple, garlic, and sugar; cook, stirring constantly, 5-6 minutes or until apple is tender. Add water chestnuts, and next 4 ingredients, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and remaining 2 tbs butter; cook, stirring constantly, 3-4 minutes. Gently toss in brussels sprouts.