- 1 small garlic clove, minced and mashed into a paste with ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ¼ pound piece of Parmesan, diced into 1/8-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted lightly lightly and chopped fine
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 heads belgian endive, trimmed and leaves separated
- Whisk together the garlic paste, lemon juice, oil and mayonnaise and stir in the parmesan cheese and celery. If you are preparing ahead, prepare up to this point and chill, covered.
- Just before serving, stir the walnuts and parsley into the salad. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the salad onto the wide end of each endive leaf.
This recipe makes enough salad for about 4 endive heads.