- 2-3 lbs fingerling potatoes
- ½ to ¾ lbs sliced mushrooms (white, cremini, or a variety)
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 1 medium onion, chopped (substitute one leek)
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic (or 1½ inches of grated garlic in the tube, available in the produce section of most grocery stores)
- 8 oz ricottta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ lb gruyère cheese, grated
- Wash potatoes and boil, unpeeled, until soft. Drain and cool, then cut the potatoes into 1/3 to ½ inch slices.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cook onions over medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes) in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Add the sliced mushrooms, the garlic, and the remaining olive oil. Sautee until the liquid evaporates, about another 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and add salt and pepper. Cover and cook until spinach wilts (about 4 minutes). Uncover and allow all liquid to evaporate. Remove the pot from heat.
- Mix the beaten egg and ricotta. Stir into the mushroom and spinach mix.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Line the bottom of pan with 1/3 of potatoes. Spoon half of spinach mixture over layer of potatoes and sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese. Make another layer of potatoes, cover with remaining spinach mixture and another 1/3 of the cheese. Lastly, cover with remaining potatoes and sprinkle the rest of the cheese.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven and let settle for 5 minutes.