- 2½–3 lbs boneless chicken, cut up
- 3 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb. smoked sausage
- 1 cup rice (or cooked pasta)
- 32 oz. stewed tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or crushed garlic
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- Cover chicken with water (at least 2 cups). Add salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer 30 minutes until done.
- When done, remove chicken, dice into chunks. Save 2 cups of broth.
- Cut sausage into small medallions and fry in pot.
- When ready, add 1 cup rice and sauté briefly (1 minute). Or, instead of rice, add 1 cup of cooked pasta, and skip sautéing.
- Add remaining ingredients and 2 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is ready