©1991 Cooking Light, adapted by Rick Tucker
- 2-3 broccoli crowns
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup nonfat or light mayonnaise
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 package Ritz crackers
- Steam broccoli crowns until tender. Plunge in cold water to blanche. With sharp knife, slice off outer tips of broccoli fronds all around, and discard remaining core.
- Melt margarine in saucepan. Add chopped onion and sauté 3 minutes. Add flour and dry mustard, cooking 1 minute while stirring with a whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook an additional 2 minutes until thick. Remove from heat. Add pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix chopped broccoli, milk mixture, cooked rice, cheese, and mayonnaise. Pour or spoon into a shallow 2 quart casserole dish, coated with vegetable spray.
- Crush Ritz crackers in a bowl (e.g. with a potato masher). Melt margarine in microwave and then mix into cracker crumbs. Add mixture over broccoli mixture in casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.