- 2 stalks romaine lettuce, “broken” into bite-sized pieces
- ½ carton of grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 to 2 large avocados or 2 to 4 small ones… ask your grocer to select ripe ones… or buy unripe ones about 3 days ahead (see instructions below for preparing)
- Vinaigrette (see instructions below for preparing)
To prepare avocados, first slice in half starting and ending at small end. Then twist one half to separate. Whack the seed with a knife to remove seed. Slice the avocado while in peel 2 to 3 times to make bite-sized squares. Scoop out squares from the peel with a tablespoon.
Prepare 2 to 3 hours ahead, but do not refrigerate. Results in ⅔ cup.
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ to ⅔ Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients with whisk until creamy
- Adjust tartness by adding lemon juice or white wine vinegar
Avocado and Tomato Salad Preparation
- Prepare vinaigrette as per above.
- Prepare avocados as per above. It is best to prepare avocados immediately before serving to avoid their turning dark. If prepared earlier, toss lightly with a small amount of lemon juice.
- Toss romaine, grape tomatoes, and avocados separately with the vinaigrette, beginning with the romaine, and layer the remaining.