- 1 16 oz bag kidney beans, soaked overnight, drained
- 1 ham bone OR 2 ham hocks
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (including leaves)
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- water to cover all ingredients
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley and green onions, for garnish
- Put everything except the salts and garnish in the crockpot on low heat. Cook covered on LOW setting for 8 to 10 hours.
- Check liquid level, adding water if needed to cover the beans. Beans should be very tender.
- Add salt and seasoned salt.
- Remove bones and bay leaves and garnish before serving. Serve over rice with grilled or smoked sausage.
Adapted from “Tell Me More” (Junior League of Lafeyette, Louisiana, http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/beans/redbns.htm)